TheBecks

TheBecks

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) - John Flanagan This book came with a very high recommendation from a friend of mine, and I can see why. I really enjoyed this one. There are aspects of the typical fantasy coming-of-age story, and details that reminded me of Lord of the Rings, but mostly, this book stood on its own two feet.

I really liked all of the characters in this one. I actually liked a secondary character, Horace, more than the main character, Will, but I think that's because I generally feel more for those placed in an underdog role. Will didn't have it easy, but in the situation he was placed in, he excelled as he was expected to and beyond. Horace was exceptional, but in his situation, he just couldn't get to where his potential should have let him go. But I loved his character and determination in the face of those things.

I also really loved Halt, and his quiet reserve. He is badass when he needs to be, but you'd never expect it. Awesome.

I really enjoyed this one, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. :)