TheBecks

TheBecks

Mistborn: The Final Empire  - Brandon Sanderson Thanks to a friend of mine, I acquired all three of these books - signed by the author!! Since then, I have had to put off reading them for other things about half a dozen times. I'd start the book, then something would come up, and I'd have to put it down. I'd start it again, something else would come up, and down it goes. So frustrating!!

But finally, I was able to get the trilogy on my nook, and I have now finished Mistborn. And man, it was worth it. I loved it. I don't even know how to describe it or analyze it at all... other than to say that I thought it was brilliant.

I loved the characters, I loved the pacing, I loved the world that Sanderson created and the rules of Allomancy and Feruchemy, I loved the political aspects of the story. I loved the creepiness of the obligators and especially the Steel Inquisitors (man I want to know more about them!!) and the Lord Ruler. I loved the humor sprinkled throughout the book, which seemed perfectly placed and perfectly handled. I loved all of the developments of the story, all of the things that we learn as we go and all of the things that become "AHA!" moments when we've finished.

I did not love one sacrifice, but I understand it, and even applaud the author for having the guts to do it. It takes real cojones to let your book be what it is, rather than force it into something it's not, and even though this thing was hard to bear for me, very much so, having some deus ex machina appear to save the day would have been worse.

This is an awful review. It doesn't do the book anywhere near the justice it deserves. Just go read it and see what all my incoherent fan-girlling is about for yourself.

And imagine that all of my I's are dotted with little ♥s. ;)