TheBecks

TheBecks

Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger 3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, though I was a little disappointed that it ended as abruptly as it did. But still, I enjoy the series, and Carriger's style and wit, and so I looked forward to this one, despite there being a distinct lack of Lord Maccon.

And despite that it's aimed at a much younger audience, which felt a little awkward at first (no yummies with Maccon?? *sigh*), but then stopped feeling so awkward not that long into the story as I got to know the characters.

I liked seeing some familiar names in this book, and that the world was the same. And I liked seeing some characters that we know from the Parasol Protectorate series in their... formative years.

But there were some issues with this book. I felt that the set up went on a little long, and the ending felt a tiny bit rushed. I also missed some of the real wit and confidence that Alexia had, which is born of her being a bit of an outcast, which caused her to become her own woman. I can see the start of that in Sophronia, but I missed it, nonetheless.

There were a LOOOOOOOOOOOT of formatting errors in this as well, and some were hilarious, but I can't really hold that against the book itself, as it was clearly the ebook itself, not the writing. If there's one thing that I can say about Carriger's writing, it's that it's clean.

Anyway, overall, I liked this, and as the beginning of a series I think it was good. I'd like to see these characters grow, and see where the series goes.