TheBecks

TheBecks

The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem - Glenn Chadbourne, Stephen King I will be the first to tell you that I'm not a poetry fan. I'm just not. I don't like reading verse, I don't like trying to figure out line breaks, I don't like what is, to me, awkward rhythms and cadence of the words.

But Stephen King's poetry is somehow the exception to the rule. Well, two of them, anyway. This is probably because I have a higher tolerance for dark and disturbing content in verse format... it just seems to fit inside my brain better than other kinds of verse. And it could be that I don't mind these poems as much partially due to the unconventional formats I've enjoyed them in which are how I will likely always think of them - not straight up poem verse (though I have read them both that way), but in more unique mediums.

Paranoid, A Chant I first read in Skeleton Crew, years ago. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really make an impact until I saw the Dollar Baby adaptation of it, which is available on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMwSqqc9Ws Fantastic stuff, and the Dollar Baby film fits it perfectly.

With The Dark Man, I don't recall having read it before this book, though I believe it was collected somewhere. But the illustrated format worked extremely well, and saved me from the tiresome task of having to read verse. With a line or a few words on each page, the words can sink in along with the excellent sketchy artwork.

The imagery, both in the text and art, were fantastic, and I loved how the two worked together and complemented each other.

Highly recommended.