TheBecks

TheBecks

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov Lolita definitely gave me some insight into what it would be like to be Humbert Humbert, a person so blinded by (what he calls) love that he is willing to do anything and everything to possess the object of that love: Lolita.

Even as he is describing and defending the unthinkable, surprisingly, Humbert manages to evoke a sense of pity from me, and I felt myself almost wishing for Delores to be nicer to him. These were points at which I forgot that Lolita was a child; her actions and attitudes resembled someone much older. I feel sure that this is due to the way that she had to cope with the situation she was put in.

In the last pages of the book Humbert, reaching a point of honesty, shows us an untainted view of Lolita. Not how he saw her through his veil of "love", but as she was: a child, coping with the fact that she was dragged into a situation that would emotionally cripple most people. Who can blame her for being sullen and manipulative?

I think that there are quite a few pages that could be removed from the 2nd half in order to improve the story... Old Humbert seems incapable of giving only one or two examples of whatever he may be describing, and ventures into the realm of "too much information". I don't mean graphic information, as one would expect, there is almost none of that, but rather tedious external descriptive information. My (one) example is of the name-game played via hotel registry. I got the point after a couple of instances, but the names just kept coming for what felt like forever.

This was an intriguing glimpse into the mind of a pedophile, and what lengths he would go to for the object of his love.