TheBecks

TheBecks

Rage - Richard Bachman, Stephen King This is a really eye-opening story, and it's really not hard to understand why King would have wanted to pull this from circulation. I'm sure that this story is terrifying in the same way that Misery is terrifying: It could really happen. But this is even worse, because not only is it possible, it's happened. This is close to home. That makes it truly terrifying.

But I have to say that the story was less about the fact that Charlie Decker brought a gun to school and used it, and more about who Charlie was and why he wound up where he did. This story is almost a PSA on parent/teen relations. At least, I saw it that way, but I'm not a parent yet.

I loved that the kids in Charlie's class were so open and honest with each other, with the exception of Ted. I was left wondering what exactly happened to Ted, both behind closed doors while in the classroom and afterward, but it's not hard to make an educated guess. It was almost ritualistic, and I felt that the students were sort of cleansing away his barriers to allow Ted to be honest with himself about who he is. This in itself makes the story great.

This is a hard one to find in print, but luckily I was able to find a used copy of The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels by Richard Bachman which contained the story. Also, there is an audio version floating around out there, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I would recommend it though, if you're unable to find the story in print. It's worth the read.